The edifice and much of the old prison on Dean Road still however remains intact.During the 1890s it saw service as a home for stray dogs. In 1899 the Borough Engineer’s Stores department was transferred to the Dean Road site.
Nowadays people still see the twin castellated stone- faced towers which dominate the entrance to the site, still hinting at the horrors which once dwelt within.Typical of Victorian “front” and over-statement however the remainder of the site is much less grandiose. The main buildings are of red brick construction. The main cell block, its galleries, cells and staircases remain intact.